Saturday, February 27, 2016

The Triumph of Fanny



This is a cartoon I did almost a year ago for Kirsty Stonell Walker to celebrate her discovery of Fanny Cornforth's final resting place, thanks to her magnificent detective work and loyalty to this misunderstood muse of Dante Gabriel Rossetti's. (If you missed the excitement last year, read about it here in this article from The Guardian.) All this week, Kirsty has been hosting a Fanny-versary on her blog The Kissed Mouth.

The idea for this cartoon of Fanny as a valkyrie, accompanied by winged battle wombats (with cake, of course) was a group effort in a Facebook discussion thread during this time. There was also this quick cartoon done at the same time, which refers back to an older cartoon I did for Kirsty:
    
Zombie
William Michael Rossetti





5 comments:

  1. Rosetti as a zombie. My life is so much fuller now.

    I actually did miss all that on Kirsty's blog, geez, I should check it more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply!(I've been so behind here on this blog!) Yes, it was VERY exciting! And it needed a celebratory cartoon. And WMR needed poking fun at for his disapproval of his brother Gabriel's friendship with Fanny Cornforth.

      Delete
  2. Hi Raine
    I stumbled across your blog while looking for cartoons of Ruskin and Morris for a book I am self-publishing called Oxford Cockaigne which features them and other Oxford literary figures like Oscar Wilde, Lewis Carroll and Jerome K jerome.
    If you've got time, check it out at www.oxfordcockaigne.com and contact me if you're interested.

    Anyway, I love your cartoons and am ordering Topsy and Rossetti/Jane T shirts
    John C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello John! Welcome and thank you! I've been sooo behind updating this blog. (Understatement. I've had a lot of unrelated illustration commission work this year...When things calm down a bit I hope to finally get some new cartoons up here. )Thank you for your own link and I will definitely check it out! :D
      And I thank you so much for ordering the tees and I hope you like them!!

      Delete